Thursday, 22 January 2009

'Coming full circle'

Both A and Dr K had the ‘flu.
Niggling sub-fury: On the wireless phone in, ‘She's come full circle now,’ meaning taking the opposite position to the one she had before – which is surely coming half-circle? I think I have come full circle – returning to a world view I had when I was 15.
Another niggling sub-fury, why do people always ‘turn round’ before they say something?
I think that making a list of niggling sub-fury-evoking uses of English might help your recovery.

Friday, 23 January 2009
From AF

We have expedited our recovery by discussing the Spanish Flu of 1917 and also describing our delirious dreams to each other.
I dreamt about God, by the way. This is my second dream about God so far. The first was a nightmare where God was nasty and arbitrarily smote people, but in this one he was quite a sensible character who disliked religion.

Friday, 23 January 2009

I think the first one was Old Nick in a smock pretending.
Yes, I think the second one seems the real McCoy. I was a little miffed when President Hussein[1] said, ‘We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus – and non-believers.’ The assumption being that named religions and belief are the same thing. If Nietzsche was right then religion must be making God turn in His celestial grave.
You have, indeed, both been smitten; but that is just because you have been pushing yourselves too much and need some down time. That sort of smiting is beneficial and consequential and not arbitrary. So don't worry.

Friday, 23 January 2009
From AF

Old Nick in a smock pretending! That would either be a good name for a band or at least for a song.
Well, at least he included non-believers. Of course surely there will be people from other religions that will be pissed off. But it's a relief despite the imperfection of the statement that first of all it doesn't go on about Christianity like the previous dudes constantly did, and secondly that it includes those who are not religious, which horrifyingly enough are still subject to taboo in this country.

Friday, 23 January 2009

I agree. It is a huge shift: A return to the secular ideal which was supposed to be the basis for the revolution. I am only slightly miffed.